First Indian to win BWC's gold
- It was Sindhu’s fifth World Championships medal — joint most for a woman singles player with former Olympics and world champion Zhang Ning of China — to go with the two successive silvers and a couple of bronze medals.
- Sindhu has also won an Olympic silver in 2016 Rio Games, a silver at Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, an Asian Games silver at Jakarta and the BWF World Tour Finals last year.
- The fifth seeded Indian, who enjoyed a 8-7 head-to-head lead over third seeded Okuhara ahead of contest, was simply unstoppable as she dished out an attacking game right from the start to race to 8-1 lead.
- This World Championships is a badminton tournament which was held from 19 to 25 August at St. Jakobshalle in Basel, Switzerland.
- Basel was chosen to be the host of the 2019 edition of the championships over 2020 Summer Olympics host city, Tokyo.
- The bid was approved by the Badminton World Federation during a council meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.