- Shri Goyal announced that a new state of the art commando training centre to be established in Jagadhri, Haryana. Shri Goyal added that a new network of CCTV cameras at every station will be set up to enhance the security of Railway passengers.
- The link of these cameras will be given to the local stations, GRP, RPF, Divisional office and to the Minister’s office.
- CORAS, a special Railway Unit is a result of detailed policy formulation. Railway Protection Force is always involved in protecting Railway passengers and Railway property in far and inaccessible threat prone areas.
- To meet the challenges to Railway security, CORAS, a separate Commando Unit of RPF has been established. This special unit is given world class training and best facilities. This special unit will be able to meet any challenging situation.
- Railway plays an important role in connecting nook and corner of the country. To tackle the threats to Railway passengers or establishments, a special task force having trained manpower was required.
- Railway is currently carrying out projects, which are strategically and economically important. Commissioning of CORAS will address challenges to these ongoing projects as well as any challenging situation for Railway travellers.
- The commandos in CORAS are well trained in reputed institutions and are capable of meeting any precarious situation. This new unit will strengthen the Railway security.
- To develop world level capabilities of specialized responder for any situation pertaining to damage, disturbance, disruption of train operations, attack/hostage/hijack, disaster situations in railway areas.
- Following the doctrine of graded response, minimum effective force shall be used for providing fool proof security to Indian Railways and its users.
- Carved out from motivated and willing young staff of RPF/RPSF.
- With an average age between 30-35 years, CORAS will always be young and motivated staff.
- Very high physical standards to join CORAS.
- Commando Coys shall be deployed in Left Wing Extremism (LWE)/Insurgency/Terrorism affected Railway areas.