Triple Talaq Bill passed
What the new law says
- Pronouncement of instant triple talaq by Muslim husband either spoken or written or in electronic form or in any other manner shall be void and illegal.
- Muslim husband who pronounces talaq to get jail term of up to 3 years, shall also be liable to fine.
- Offence punishable under this Act shall be cognizable, if information relating to commission of offence is given to an officer in charge of a police station by the married Muslim woman upon whom talaq is pronounced, or any person related to her by blood or marriage.
- Offence shall be compoundable, at the instance of the married Muslim woman upon whom talaq is pronounced, with permission of magistrate.
- No person accused of a punishable offence shall get bail unless magistrate, on an application filed by the accused and after hearing the wife, is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds.
- Married Muslim woman upon whom talaq is pronounced entitled to receive from her husband such amount of subsistence allowance as determined by magistrate.
- Married Muslim woman shall be entitled to custody of her minor kids in event of pronouncement of talaq by her husband as determined by magistrate.