- The principal purpose of the exercise, conducted after every two years since it was initiated in 2007, is to provide a forum for understanding of each other's maritime concepts and operational cultures and come up with ways and means to combat common threats at sea.
- The flag of 46 countries including Pakistan were hoisted and the contingents of Pakistan Navy presented a march-past.
- Commander Pakistan Fleet, Vice Admiral Amjad Khan Niazi, who was the chief guest of the opening ceremony, said the exercise AMAN, which means peace, is a step to enhance cooperation, take benefit from mutual advantage and understand each other.
- He said maritime security is pivotal for national security and protection of maritime routes is also necessary for the economy.
- Ambassadors and delegates of various countries were also present in the inauguration ceremony.