Emergency in Maldives extended
The state of emergency in the trouble-torn Maldives was 19 February 2018 extended by 30 days after the a key parliamentary committee approved President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom's request, a media report said, allowing him to reinforce his power in the picturesque Indian Ocean island nation.
During an extraordinary meeting of the The National Security Committee of the People's Majlis, approval was given to the Decree for State of Emergency submitted to the People's Majlis (Parliament) by President Yameen. Deputy Speaker of People's Majlis, MP Moosa Manik confirmed the decree was approved by the Committee during its meeting held behind closed doors.
The Committee approved the decree, and well as the request for a 30-day extension to the State of Emergency.
A total of 38 MPs voted to accept the decree and forward it to the National Security Committee for evaluation. All opposition MPs boycotted the sitting, alleging it was held unconstitutionally, the report said.
President Yameen declared the emergency on February 5 after the Supreme Court ordered the release of a group of Opposition leaders, who had been convicted in widely criticised trials. Among them was exiled ex-President Mohamed Nasheed. The court said his 2015 trial had been unconstitutional.
Under the emergency law, Yameen had two Supreme Court judges arrested, accusing them of corruption. Later, the remaining three judges annulled the order to release Yameen's opponents.
On February 16, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar had said India had called on the government of Maldives to lift the state of emergency and restore the democratic process, including the functioning of judiciary, which is "free of intimidation".