India to host World Environment Day
India will host United Nation's World Environment Day celebration this year with a theme 'Beat Plastic Pollution'. The Union Ministry of Environment and Forest and the United Nation on 19 February 2018 signed an agreement on the hosting of the June 5 event during which governments, communities and individuals from around the world would be encouraged to find out an alternative to plastic.
- Every year the world uses 500 billion plastic bags and each year at least 8 million tonnes of plastic are dumped into the oceans.
- This is equivalent to a full garbage truck carrying plastic being thrown into the sea in every minute.
- India demonstrated tremendous global leadership on climate change and the need to shift to a low carbon economy, and India will now help galvanize greater action on plastics pollution.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan.
- World Environment Day is a UN Environment-led global event.