Anti-tank missile successfully test-fires
- The missile was launched from a man portable tripod launcher and the target was mimicking a functional tank in the Kurnool ranges. The missile hit the target in top attack mode and destroyed it with precision.
- The third-generation missile is incorporated with state-of-the-art infrared imaging seeker along with advanced avionics.
- The missile weighs around 14 kg and can be used by infantry battalions against armored vehicles. It has a maximum range of around 2.5 kms and will replace Soviet-era anti-tank missiles that are being used by the Army.
- Earlier, India had cancelled a mega order of Israeli anti-tank missile, Spike, in favor of the MPATGM.
- A multi-million dollar deal with an Israeli firm for the Spike missile had been abandoned after the DRDO promised to deliver its indigenously developed guided missile by 2021.
- The DRDO successfully developed the anti-tank guided missile without any technological assistance from foreign firms.