Ravish Kumar received Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Kumar was among five individuals who were declared winners of the award, which is Asia’s premier prize and highest honour and celebrates the greatness of spirit and transformative leadership in Asia.
- The four other winners of the 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award are Ko Swe Win from Myanmar, Angkhana Neelapaijit from Thailand, Raymundo Pujante Cayabyab from the Philippines and Kim Jong-Ki from South Korea.
- Born in Jitwarpur village in Bihar, Kumar joined New Delhi Television Network (NDTV) in 1996 and worked his way up from being a field reporter.
- After NDTV launched its 24-hour Hindi-language news channel – NDTV India – targeting the country’s 422 million native speakers of Hindi, he was given his own daily show “Prime Time.”
- The Ramon Magsaysay award was established in April, 1957. This award was created to commemorate Ramon Magsaysay, the late president of Philippines. The Ramon Magsaysay Award is Asia’s premier prize and highest honour.
- The Award is presented in formal ceremonies in Manila, Philippines, the birth anniversary of the much-esteemed Philippines President whose ideals inspired the Award’s creation.
- This award is given in 6 categories; Government services (GS), Public services (PS), Community leadership(CL), Journalism, literature & creative communication arts (JLCCA), Peace and International Understanding (PIU) and Emergent leadership (EL).