Defence Minister Rajnath Singh held talks with his South Korean counterpart Jeong Kyeongdoo. They comprehensively reviewed bilateral defence cooperation and signed two agreements to expand defence educational exchanges and extend logistical support to each other’s navies.
- As per a statement, Singh and Kyeongdoo “noted that defence cooperation lies at the heart of the Special Strategic Partnership” between the two countries.
- They discussed the ongoing cooperation at Service-to-Service level and prospects for enhanced cooperation between defence industries of India and Korea.
- India and South Korea have “formulated a roadmap to take bilateral defence industry cooperation to the next level”.
- India also mentioned sectors like land systems, aero-systems, naval systems, research and development in Testing, Certification, Quality Assurance.
- Navy sees the agreement to be important as it gives a long leg for the Indian vessel. The agreement gives vessels of the two countries an ability to be at sea for a long time and to take help of the naval bases of each other for fuel, rest and ration and also basic maintenance, said an Indian Navy.
- South Korea is located further north of the South China Sea which has sovereignty claim disputes between China, the Philipines, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei. Indian stand has been that south China issue should be resolved amicably under the international laws.
- The Ministers of the two countries noted that defence co-operation lies at the heart of the Special Strategic Partnership between India and ROK.
- They discussed the ongoing co-operation at Service-to-Service level and prospects for enhanced co-operation between defence industries of India and Korea. The two Ministers also exchanged views on regional and international developments of mutual interest, added MoD.
- India and Republic of Korea (ROK) have formulated a forward looking roadmap to take bilateral Defence Industry co-operation to the next level.
- The roadmap has listed a number of proposed areas of co-operation in sectors of Land Systems, Aero Systems, Naval Systems, R&D co-operation and collaboration in Testing, Certification and Quality Assurance.
- Rajanth Singh also invited a delegation from Korean Defence Industries to participate in DefExpo 2020 which will be held from 05 - 08 February, 2020 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.