Humanoid robot docks with ISS
- The first docking attempt on 24 August 2019 failed due to issues related to the automatic docking system.
- The Skybot F-850 is the first humanoid robot sent to space by Russia. NASA sent a humanoid robot, Robonaut 2, to space in 2011 to work in hazardous environments.
- FEDOR or Feodor is a Russian humanoid robot that replicates movements of a remote operator as well as performs a limited set of actions autonomously.
- Originally it was called Avatar and was funded by Ministry of Emergency Situations for rescue operations but later its intended use was expanded to space operations.
- The new name was given by Dmitry Rogozin. FEDOR is intended to be a platform for development of a series of robots although the first model was often called Fedor in media.
- On 22 August 2019, a FEDOR robot was launched to the International Space Station. The plan is for it to spend one week and one half aboard the orbital outpost. The model going to space was given the name Skybot F-850.