India clinched a gold medal in the compound junior mixed team event of the World Archery Youth Championships (WAYC) in Madrid on 24 August 2019. Sukhbeer Singh and Raginee Markoo prevailed over their Swiss opponents Andrea Vallaro and Janine Hunsperger 152-147 to clinch their second medal of the tournament.
- Sukhbeer had won a bronze in the junior compound team event on 23 August 2019.
- India are also in the hunt for a second gold as Komalika Bari will take on Sonoda Waka of Japan in the recurve cadet summit clash on 25 August 2019.
- Sukhbeer and Raginee made a strong start and shot consistently to keep the Swiss pair at bay.
- In the first end, the Indian duo shot two 10s to win 38-36, and they followed it up with three 10s in the second end to make it 39-37.
- Andrea and Janine gave some fight in the third end but Sukhbeer and Raginee managed to prevail by one point (37-36) for an overall five-point lead.
- Both shot 38-all in the final end but the Indians’ overall lead was enough to clinch the issue 114-109.
- World Archery is the international governing body for the sport of archery.
- Its mission is to promote and regulate archery worldwide, developing the sport with over 160 member associations through international events, development initiatives and marketing and endorsed by the International Olympic Committee, International Paralympic Committee and International World Games Association, among others.
- It is responsible for setting the rules and regulations for international archery events, organising the World Archery Championships and for the sport at the Olympic Games, Paralympic Games and World Games.