World Food India 2019
Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal has on 18 June 2019 said that World Food India 2019 will be the biggest gathering of all global and domestic stakeholders in Food Processing Sector. WFI 2019 will be held from 1-4th November 2019 in New Delhi and will position India as Food Processing Destination of the World. The Minister chaired a meeting with various stakeholders of WFI 2019 including the associated Ministries and Departments, CEOs of major food processing companies and Industry Associations.
- This was followed by a second meeting with the Ambassadors/High Commissioners of leading food processing/food retailing countries.
- The meetings were held to discuss the investment opportunities available in India in the Food Processing Sector and to sensitize the gathering about their participation in WFI 2019. Also attending the meeting were Minister of State for Food Processing Industries Sh Rameswar Teli and senior officers of the Ministry.
- The Minister informed the gathering that the second edition of World Food India is planned at a much bigger and grandeur level from 1-4 November 2019 at Vigyan Bhawan and Rajpath Lawns in New Delhi.
- World Food India 2019 shall consist of several top level seminars, investment opportunities, exhibitions, high level CEO roundtables, country sessions, B2B and B2G networking etc.
- For the year 2019, the Ministry is targeting to partner with at least 15 countries and participation from at least 80 countries. The tagline of the event will be “Forging Partnerships for Growth”.
- Indian Food Processing Industry has grown tremendously recording 11% growth rate, which is twice the pace of Global Industry. The sector has recorded double digit growth rate across all major sub-segments of the sectors both in terms of value and volume.
- The Minister informed that despite huge domestic market of 1.3 billion customers with the youngest population globally and an abundant agricultural base, the processing levels in India remain low at 7.7% behind several economies such as China, Malaysia and US.
- India’s share in global exports of processed food is only 2%. Besides, India also has a high share of harvest and post-harvest losses from major agricultural produces on account of poor storage, transportation and logistics to the extent of INR 92,651 Crores ($13 Billion)-3 times the agricultural budget.
- The government initiated a biennial event- World Food India to promote food processing sector at global level.
- The first such event was conducted in 2017 and received wide success. The event created Brand India in global food map by positioning India as a World Food Factory.
- It was for the first time in India that all major policy makers and top industrialists across the globe in Food Processing Industries were together under one roof.
- World Food India 2017 had witnessed presence of India’s top political leadership including the President of India,the Prime Minister, the Finance and Commerce & Industry Minister. CEOs roundtables with Prime Minister, Finance Minister, and Commerce & Industry Minister were the key highlight covering various aspect related to business be it strategic, finance/investment or trade.
- World Food India 2017 witnessed the participation of 61 countries, ministers from several countries and India, Chief Ministers of various Indian states, 60 Global CEOs and eminent academicians attended the event.
- The event saw a footfall of more than 75,000 more than 8,000 B2B meetings and signing of MoUs worth USD 14 Billion.