‘Star of Jerusalem’ award
- Representative of India, Sunil Kumar, who was present the event, also appreciated the role played by the Ansari family in strengthening Indo-Palestine ties.
- Sheikh Munir Ansari is the Director of Indian Hospice, a unique and historic monument in the heart of the Holy city, which has become a symbol of India’s heritage and presence in the old city of Jerusalem going back to over 800 years.
- The Indian hospice has been under the direct supervision of a representative from India since 1924. Sheikh Munir Ansari’s father, Sheikh Nazir Hassan Ansari, was appointed the first Sheikh of the Hospice from whom the mantle passed on to the incumbent who was born in Jerusalem in 1928 and has spent his whole life here.
- In 2011, India has honoured Sheikh Munir Ansari with the Pravasi Divas Samman, the highest honour conferred on overseas Indians.
- In the 12th century, Baba Farid, the famous sufi saint from Punjab visited Jerusalem on pilgrimage and prayed in seclusion for 40 days at the current site of the Hospice.
- It later became a pilgrimage site for Indian pilgrims visiting Jerusalem and was dedicated as a charitable waqf property in trust for a pious purpose.
- The place where Baba Farid is said to have prayed has become a major attraction for Indian tourists visiting Jerusalem.
- Almost every prominent Indian leader who has visited the region has paid a visit to the site and the hospice continues to host Indians visiting the Holy Land.
- The hospice also received a grant from the Ministry of External Affairs for its renovation.
- Palestine is a de jure sovereign state in Western Asia claiming the West Bank (bordering Israel and Jordan) and Gaza Strip (bordering Israel and Egypt) with East Jerusalem as the designated capital, although its administrative center is currently located in Ramallah.
- The entirety of territory claimed by the State of Palestine has been occupied by Israel since the Six-Day War in 1967.