Kartarpur draft agreement
- The meeting comes amid heightened tensions between India and Pakistan since the Pulwama terrorist attack by Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed on February 14.
- Talks begin between India & Pakistan to discuss and finalize the modalities for the KartarpurCorridor, at Attari, Amritsar, that’ll facilitate Indian pilgrims to visit the holy shrine of Gurudwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur.
- This would be their first meeting to finalise the modalities of the proposed cross-border Kartarpur Corridor.
- The meeting will take place on the Indian side of the Attari-Wagah border. An Indian delegation would visit to Islamabad on March 28 for the follow up meeting.
- The Pakistani delegation is being led by Director General South Asia and SAARC, Muhammad Faisal, who is also spokesperson of the foreign ministry.
- In brief interaction with the media, Faisal said that Pakistan gave a lot of importance to the rights of minorities. He also said that the reduction in tensions between Pakistan and India was important for the regional peace.
- A session of technical experts of Pakistan and India will also be held at Attari simultaneously. Experts will discuss the issues relating to the corridor, its construction, road and other technicalities.