Surging Silk Event
- Woman reelers using the traditional method earn approximately Rs.125/- per day while a Tasarreeler using Buniyaad machine can earn Rs.350/- per day.
- The machine is priced at Rs.8,475/- per unit excluding taxes and transportation charges.
- During the event, best achievers of silk industry across various segments of sericulture were honoured. Awards were also given to the best performing states.
- A mobile application e-cocoon was launched for quality certification in silkworm seed sector.A compendium on Indian silk industry and state sericulture profile was also released on the occasion.
- Silk production has increased by 41 per cent since 2013-14. The Textiles Minister said the Buniyadreeling machine will not only rid the woman reelers of the painful practice of thigh reeling but also enhance their income and help them live a dignified life.
- The mobile app e-cocoon will help quality certification in silk worm sector. She informed that the mobile application will be used by the Seed Analysts and Seed Officers nominated under Central Seed Act for system and product certification through real time reporting.
- Besides covering a large number of stake holders – registered seed producers (RSP) and Registered ChawkieRearers(RCR), the essentially required systems with the RSP, RCR and silkworm eggsand the silkworm reared worms will be effectively monitored.
- India is the second largest producer of silk after China and the largest consumer of silk. India's silk production capacity is expected to reach about 38,500 tonnes by 2020 from the current level of 32,000 tonnes.