Hubble’s most advanced camera shut down
- The camera is equipped with back-up electronics that can be called to action should they be needed to recover the instrument.
- Hubble is the first major optical telescope to be placed in space, providing an unobstructed view into the universe.
- Launched in 1990, the world’s first space telescope helped confirm the theory that the universe is expanding, lending credence to the Big Bang theory.
- Hubble has made more than 1.3 million observations since its mission began in 1990, taking pictures of stars and galaxies of as it whirls around the Earth.
- Astronomers using Hubble data have published more than 15,000 scientific papers, making it one of the most productive scientific instruments ever built.
- The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) is a space telescope that was launched into low Earth orbit in 1990.
- Hubble is one of the largest and most versatile and is well known as both a vital research tool and a public relations boon for astronomy.
- The HST is named after the astronomer Edwin Hubble and is one of NASA's Great Observatories, along with the Compton Gamma Ray Observatory, the Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Spitzer Space Telescope.
#Hubble #Space #Telescope #HST #WideFieldCamera3