East Godavari district in Andhra Pradesh is all set to become the country’s first ‘LED street light district’. The rural LED street lighting programme in the district entailing the installation of around 3.1 lakh LED street lights has been completed.
- The State Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu will declare the district as the first to be equipped with 100 per cent LED street lighting on April 24 and dedicate the credit to all the rural people on the occasion of Panchayat Raj Divas.
- AP is already ranked the best State in implementation of energy efficiency and conservation programmes by the World Bank.
- The Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) is supporting the LED project which has been completed in five months. Naidu wanted coverage of all the 13 districts with over 28-30 lakh LED lights, which is expected to save around 333 MU of energy a year.
- The project is being implemented in the districts of East Godavari, Chittoor, Ananthapur, YSR Kadapa, Vizianagaram & Visakhapatnam.
- Total 50 lakh LED street lights installed in the country, AP has installed around 11.61 lakh which cover 20 per cent of the total LED street lights whereas even the big States such as Maharashtra, New Delhi, Rajasthan and Tamilnadu were lagging behind.
- Special action plan is under process for integrating the Minister’s Dash Board with Centralised Control Monitoring System (CCMS). The EESL has agreed to take up the LED street lighting project in other districts also.