Kushinagar International Airport
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh, which will help connect key Buddhist pilgrimage sites.
- An inaugural flight of Sri Lankan Airlines landed at the airport, bringing a large contingent of Buddhist monks and Sri Lankan Ministers.
- This will be Uttar Pradesh’s ninth airport, seven of which have been developed in the past seven years alone. The State will get 11 more airports in the years to come, including two international ones.
- There is a special focus on the development of places associated with Lord Buddha through better connectivity, and creation of facilities for devotees.
- Lumbini, the birth place of Lord Buddha, is not far from here.
- Sarnath, where Lord Buddha gave the first sermon, is also within a radius of 100-250 km.
- Bodh Gaya, where Buddha attained enlightenment, is also a few hours away.
Kushinagar and Buddha:
- Kushinagar is an important Buddhist pilgrim destination, and is believed to be the final resting place of Gautam Buddha. It is also at the centre of a Buddhist tourist circuit, which includes Lumbini (Nepal), Sarnath and Bodhgaya.
- Other Buddhist destinations nearby include Nalanda, Sravasti and Kapilavastu.
Important Events of Gautam Buddha’s Life:
- Buddhism was founded by Gautama Buddha.
- He left his home at the age of 29 to become an ascetic. This event is called
- He gave his first sermon at Sarnath near Varanasi. This event is called Dharmachakra Pravartana/ Dhammachakkappavattana.
- He died in 483 BC under a Sal tree in Kushinagar (in UP). This event is called
- The term ‘Buddha’ means ‘enlightened one’