The HRD Ministry on 5 September 2019, awarded Institution of Eminence (IoE) status to five public institutions including Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University, University of Hyderabad, IIT-Madras and IIT-Kharagpur.
The decision was taken following a recommendation made by the University Grants Commission last month on the basis of the advice of an Empowered Expert Committee.
- Orders have been issued to five public institutions including IIT-Madras, IIT-Kharagpur, DU and University of Hyderabad, declaring them as IoEs.
- Letter of Intent granting the IoE status have been issued to five private universities including Amrita Vidyapeetham, Tamil Nadu; Jamia Hamdard University; Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Odisha; and Bharti Institute, Mohali.
About Institutions of Eminence
- Institutions of Eminence scheme has been launched in order to implement the commitment of the Government to empower the Higher Educational Institutions and to help them become world class teaching and research institutions, as announced by the Hon’ble Finance Minister in his budget speech of 2016.
- Ten public and ten private institutions are to be identified to emerge as world-class Teaching and Research Institutions.
- This will enhance affordable access to high quality education for ordinary Indians.