India has contributed $1 million to the UN Special Purpose Trust Fund for the Resident Coordinator System. The Special Purpose Trust Fund (SPTF) is a specific fund housed within the UN Secretariat established to receive, consolidate, manage and account for all contributions and financial transactions of the new Resident Coordinator system in a transparent and effective way, according to the UN information.
- The SPTF web portal, displays in real time all commitments, contributions and expenditures recorded for the fund.
- Funding sources include voluntary contributions from the Member States, the doubling of cost-sharing amounts from the UN entities who are members of the United Nations development system and a one per cent levy applied to contributions for UN development-related activities earmarked to a single agency, single programme or project.
- The UN Sustainable Development Group has launched an open data portal on 5 February 2019 to support UN Resident Coordinators in coordinating assets at the country level.
- The portal aims to enhance effective coordination of the UN’s work in over 160 countries in support of the SDGs and is part of wider UN reform efforts on development, management, peace and security.
- The major changes to the RC system were operationalized in January 2019. The UN Secretariat houses the ‘Special Purpose Trust Fund (SPTF),’ which was established by the UN to “receive, consolidate, manage and account for all contributions and financial transactions” of the new RC system in an effective and transparent way.
- The open-access web portal reflects every commitment, contribution and expenditure recorded for the SPTF.
- Funding sources come from three areas: voluntary contributions from Member States; the doubling of cost-sharing amounts from UN entities; and a 1% levy applied to contributions for UN development-related activities earmarked to a single project, programme or agency.
- The portal will feature real-time contributions from the RC system. To date, 38 Member States and 19 entities have contributed to the RC System Special Purpose Trust Fund, which are displayed on the portal. The portal lists amounts of contributions and displays them on a map.